Tuesday, January 14, 2014

I think I have done something special

I think I have done some thing special although I didn't know it at the time
Some months ago, my friend Diane asked me to do the quilting on a quilt she had made She had macular degeneration and could not see well enough to finish it
While she was away on holidays I finished it
While away she was ill and on her return home was in and out of hospital in Melbourne, so I didn't see her
I kept the quilt hoping she would come home and I could give it to her
She had a series of mini strokes then a big one that left her with no speech and not being able to move one side
Everyone told me she looked terrible
Friday before last I had an overwhelming desire to get the quilt to her She had been moved back to the local hospital so I dropped in
The nurse said I could stay five minutes I showed Diane  the quilt and she smiled and I left it there
Friday just gone Diane passed away So sad
Last night I had a phone call from her daughter who I have only met once. She had just found out where the quilt came from She had never seen it before and it was so different from anything her Mum had made before She asked if her Mum had said who the quilt was to be for She had not told me when I asked
Aparently Diane had made quilts for her parents and when they passed away the quilts were buried with them. Her daughter is convinced Diane made this quilt for her self, though at the time no one knew she was so ill, but she thinks Diane knew
Her daughter was very grateful I finished it
Iam so pleased I got it to her before her passing
A lovely lady at rest

20 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. I think what you did was very special even though you didnt know it at the time. It was so good that you listened to that "little voice" and was able to give her the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Illene this is both a beautiful and sad story. How wonderful that you were able to help your friend in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sincere condolences at the loss of your friend. It is amazing how our inner voice can know exactly the right action to take. I hope it brings you some comfort to know you made your friend so happy. Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad for you & the family, but you have done the right thing at just the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend Illene but how nice you were able to give her the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. What a beautiful quilt. So glad you were able to give it to her before she passed. This is such a lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my... your story brought me to tears... how special getting the beautiful quilt done in time... I am sorry about the loss of your friend...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, but how wonderful you got the quilt to her just in time. Sending hugs for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a beautiful quilt! I'm so glad you got to see her and deliver the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful story but very sad….
    Florence

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear about your friend passing...but wonderful you listened to your inner voice and gave her the quilt. You have indeed done a very special thing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing this with us Illene - so sorry to read of the loss of your friend - you followed your heart and gave your friend peace & comfort... Her family will remember you fondly I am sure x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was very moved as I read this tender story. So glad you followed your prompting and was able to finish the quilt and present it to your friend. I'm sure that within her inner self she was very pleased and grateful to you for getting it done. May the fond memories you have of her bless you at this sad time. Nola

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful but sad story. Glad that you listened to yourself and dropped that quilt off xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have indeed done something special - how touching.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry to hear about your friend. What a beautiful story. Your quilt is just lovely and I love the colors you used.
    Blessings,
    Bobbie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  17. that has worked out its meant to be you did sch a special gesture for her and you knew the right time to deliver,sending big hugs Illene.xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing your beautiful story. The quilt is beautiful you are a truly wonderful friend.x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Illene, my thoughts for you with the loss of your friend...saddened when I read your post....it was meant to be...as it happened...Hugs, Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a kind and wonderful thing to do. I'm so sorry you lovely friend passed away. My deepest sympathy.

    ReplyDelete